Monday, January 19, 2015

The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.









This is one of my favorite phrases to use when discussing the past and trying to see the logic of my past actions and those of others. I truly believe that it is a foreign land where what I did makes almost no sense to what I do now.

I think that this a natural occurrence and that we evolve completely over time.  For example many my values have changed, what once seemed so important to me are now replaced with others. So now looking at the decisions I made in the past if I was faced with them again I may decide differently. I don't mean that I regret my decisions, I don't. In fact I consider myself very lucky as regret is something that rarely features in my life.

Over the past few days I have found myself reflecting on my past. How strange it is that only four months ago I toasted to the long and happy marriage of two lovely people in a beautiful hotel in Dun Laoighre. Before I came to Romania I had a regular routine little rituals of Friday pints or walks along the sea front. Back then before coming to Romania I wondered what my life would be like I thought it would be dramatically different and I was right. But I have settled into my life here , my daily routines are established. 

When I try to imagine my life if I had not come I cannot. Because the past is a foreign place for me and I did things differently there. I guess Romania has already changed me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home